Sunday, November 19, 2006

Islam and the West

This is a difficult topic for me to write about (although at the same time one I really want to write about). I've never been around Muslims or their culture, so there are many things that I might not understand about Islam and therefore also about its conflict with the West (if there even is one - there are those who say it is a purely political conflict and has nothing to do with culture or religion). But I guess that's why I want to write this (as I explained in my first post on this blog, this blog is a Pensieve ;-P so it's supposed to help me put random thoughts in order).
Before I get to the point, I want to underline very, very clearly that I'm writing this from a Westerner's point of view, which means this post is a mix of news tidbits from Western media, some stereotypes and then a few tibits I've come across which seem to go against what I've been made to believe about Islam.
I'm not going to write about terrorism - I don't think I have anything worth saying that hasn't been said a million times over by others. And anyway, I don't really understand what Jihad is and I don't believe an encyclopedic definition will help, but for all it's worth you can check out the explanation on wikipedia here. Clearly, it has a very wide meaning and many in the Islamic community think it's being misinterpreted by the likes of al-Qaeda and other such organizations, so lets leave it at that.

I've written a long disclaimer, so I guess I can start with the nasty stuff now... Here's an article which upholds all the worst things we hear about Islam. It's about honour killings in Germany - Muslim women (Turkish in this case) get killed by their own families because they adopt a Western style of life.
I've also come across some articles about women's rights (and rape in particular) in Pakistan. This is an article about Mukhtar Mai - a woman from a small Pakistani village who was gang-raped, but has chosen to speak out about it and has become an important figure in the fight for women's rights. To read more on what Pakistani women think about this issue, try this link - there's a wide scope of opinions presented.
Other than this (well maybe apart from all the recent stories about whether Muslim women in Western countries should be allowed to wear veils - but perhaps I'll write about that at some different time), the rest of the stories showing Islam in bad light are terrorist related I think and while one can't fully discuss the matter without mentioning terrorism, I really don't feel like going into detail on it. We all know the issue exists and we all have very strong feelings against it and that I think is as much as I'm going to write.

Of course the West has done some very horrible things as well. While Bush's war on terror needs no comment I think, there are other things that have happened on the West/Middle-East front since the attacks on Afghanistan and Iraq that speak very badly of the West. One of the first scandals was when the abuse of Iraqi prisoners was revealed. It was a loud case, so most of you probably remember it. If you don't then here's an article from May 2004 that covers the issue in quite a lot of detail.
While that was curbed, there are still Human Right issues that to this day have not been resolved and in fact the present state of affairs seems to have support from the US government (there seem to be slow changes made for the better, so lets keep our fingers crossed). I'm talking about Guantanamo of course. Check out what Amnesty International has to say. I still ought to read up more on their site, but I think the Case-sheets are particularly chilling reads. Also check out the short interview with Moazzam Begg - while not as descriptive on the torture as the case-sheets, what he has to say is still very shocking and very much worth knowing in the global scale of things. He was one of the people who spent a few years in Guantanamo and then was released without charges.
And this is not the end of things either. Things like this are happening all the time, but perhaps not as loudly as the two above (although frankly, Guantanamo is probably receiving a lot less attention from the media than it should!). A recent story which I found quite shocking is this - a 14 year old Iraq girl raped and killed by US soldiers (not to mention her whole family being killed by them as well).
Then there's the Arab-Israeli conflict, which many say is a major culprit in the tensions in the world now.

If you're Polish (I think most of the very few people reading this blog are) and perhaps thinking that Poland is responsible only for supporting the USA in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, well think again. If there is or was a secret detention centre in Poland then for all we know similar horrors could have been going on there. Check out this article about a recent EU investigation into the matter. There is no proof of such a place existing, but there are certainly very fishy aspects to this story. It is about these sorts of places that Moazzam Begg talked of in the interview I linked to. Here's the relevant quote:
And I think that one of the lessons, if we can call it a lesson, that the USA has learnt from Guantánamo is that there places that you don't tell people about.
Guantánamo now is almost this place that is becoming acceptable because these other places are so much worse and so much sinister.


There is this opinion in the West that Islamic culture is more aggresive and less democratic than Western culture. And yes, it wasn't people from the West who killed 3000 people in the World Trade Centre attacks. We also don't have honour killings (or at least I haven't heard of any) and women have more rights. But is there not enough evidence in the articles I linked to that show our culture is also very brutal and agressive?
You might say that the people who have inflicted such abuses on Muslims are in the minority, but that is what Muslims say about their extremists, no? I think the reason that we see our culture as less aggressive is that we know so many other aspects of it. What other aspects of Muslim culture does an average Westerner know?

I recently stumbled across a Muslim prayer on-line and I was very surprised with it. Believe it or not, it's actually very much in line with what I keep writing on this blog (I mean the values in it). Here it is (copied and pasted from this site):

Muslim Prayer for Peace

In the name of Allah,
the beneficent, the merciful.
Praise be to the Lord of the
Universe who has created us and
made us into tribes and nations
That we may know each other, not that
we may despise each other.
If the enemy incline towards peace, do
thou also incline towards peace, and
trust God, for the Lord is the one that
heareth and knoweth all things.
And the servants of God,
Most gracious are those who walk on
the Earth in humility, and when we
address them, we say "PEACE."


One of the major reasons why I even started thinking about this and wondering if I'm missing something in how Islam has been potrayed to me is Bollywood :D (yes, even though this blog is becoming a lot more political than I had intended it, Bollywood and Harry Potter will keep getting inserted into it until everyone but me is totally bored of hearing about them ;-P)
When I started getting fascinated with Bollywood I quickly realized that a lot of the major stars in the film industry are Muslim. And because I find it very easy to connect to the films, this made me think. These Muslim actors were showing a sense of humour that is no different than what we have in the West, often promoting values which I agree with (and I think the West generally agrees with) and in general there was just so little of it that was truly foreign to me.
Just to illustrate what I'm saying (and because I can't resist the opportunity to show people yet another clip of Shah Rukh Khan), below are two clips from an interview with Shahrukh on a program called "Devil's Advocate". The part which is relevant to this post (where he talks about Islam) starts at about 4:10 on the first clip and then continues into the second one (anyone wishing to watch the interview in full should start with this clip and then continue to the two below).



Shah Rukh is very proudly Muslim (he mentions it so much in interviews that some accuse him of flaunting it, the other Muslim stars are mostly much more reserved about it), but at the same time he does some things that I wouldn't associate with Islam based on the information that comes my way from Western sources.
Firstly, he is married to a Hindu and they are bringing up their children in both religions. Secondly, he is actually very feminist (there are many examples, but for some reason the following one particularly amuses me ;-P). There's an interview about one of his films, Paheli which he also produced. He's clearly very proud of the film (it's a very female centered film, telling the story of a woman's loneliness) and he seemed to be genuinely excited about being the supporting actor for a woman rather than the other way round lol:
What makes Paheli so special?

Everything about Paheli is special. See, I am sounding like a doting father! First of all, it is for the first time that I have attempted a totally women-centric movie not only as a filmmaker but also as an actor.

For the first time and probably not the last time, Shahrukh Khan will be entirely dominated by a heroine.


While I kind of feel that I should give a meaninful end to such a long and rambling post, I don't think I have anything more to say ;) This post is very heavy, long and political so instead of giving a summary of my views (which are hopefully fairly clear by now), I'll just leave you on a light note. Here's the trailer for Paheli:

The trailer of course has absolutely nothing to do with Islam other than Muslims being amongst those who made the film (the main characters are Hindu not Muslim), but this is my blog, so I think I am entitled to finishing my posts in a totally ridiculous manner if I so please, so there ;-P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are spelling 'pensive' incorrectly. A ghastly error when displaying it as your title.

As for Mukhtaran Mai, I have met with her in her village of Meerwala.

Monika said...

Thanks very much for the comment :)
I'd love to know more about your meeting!

"Pensieve" however is not the adjective "pensive". It is a magical object from the Harry Potter series and is spelt correctly :)
I've edited this information into my title now, so hopefully there won't be any further confusion :)