Sunday, November 19, 2006

Prokofiev diaries published

Because I think my blog has become too serious and political, I've decided I must put in a few totally silly and senseless posts. And because I think all my readers will be utterly fascinated with this news, I thought it was worth putting in my blog ;-P
So, there you go, Sergei Prokofiev's diaries have been published.
And while I do own about 3 CDs of his music and think I might enjoy the read (if I ever get hold of the book which is doubtful), the true reason for posting this is because I thought it was a wonderful excuse to link to one of my favourite ever figure skating programs.

So this is Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat skating the Free Dance that won the bronze medal at the 1998 Olympics to Sergei Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet:

I think they are one of the most unique ice dancers we've had in the history of the sport. They introduced so many things into ice dance that we, the fans enjoy to this day - an image based on unmistakable hairstyles, theatrical expression that made the ISU amend the rulebook with rules that ice dancers should aim to perform dancey routines rather than theatrical ones and lifts in which it was Marina who lifted Gwendal rather than the other way round (it was in fact in this program that it was done for the first time ever in skating).

No comments: