Saturday, November 18, 2006

Borowski and the centre-left after the Polish local elections

To my shock and horror this blog is getting more and more political by the minute ;-P I didn't actually intend it that way, but oh well...

Anyway, after the local elections, the centre-left bloc Lewica i Demokraci (SLD+SDPL+PD+UP) have established themselves as the third most important political force in Poland (after PiS and PO) and I'm following the effect it has had on the political scene.

PO is refusing to form a coalition with LiD even on the local government level. Read about it on Marek Borowski's site in Polish here. I'm disapointed but not surprised.

And here's a very interesting interview with Marek Borowski.
Here are two quotes (in Polish, sorry!) that I liked best from the interview.
The first one I like because it amuses me (while at the same time it's so true):
Więc kto ma większe szanse na pana poparcie? Chyba jednak kandydatka PO?

Powiem tak: ta sytuacja przypomina mi oświadczyny. Przychodzi do panny dwóch konkurentów i każdy ją wychwala: jakie kształty, jakie oczy, jakie włosy – a tymczasem już wyciąga rękę po posag. Jak go złapie, to od razu zwieje. Ale my posagu dobrze pilnujemy. Proszę brać razem z posagiem albo wcale. Możemy po prostu stracić zainteresowanie dla wyniku tych wyborów. Mogą je również stracić moi wyborcy i albo zostać w domu, albo skreślić obie kandydatury


The second one I'm actually rather surprised at:
Nowy program wygładzi wszelkie różnice wewnątrz waszej federacji?

Nie. Będzie oczywiście część, gdzie musimy mówić jednym głosem, obejmująca kluczowe zagadnienia: zasadnicze kierunki polityki zagranicznej, podstawowe problemy społeczno-gospodarcze, walka z przestępczością oraz sprawne, uczciwe państwo. Ale różnice mogą pozostać na przykład w kwestii liberalizacji ustawy antyaborcyjnej, gdzie PD może mieć inne zdanie niż SDPL i SLD.


I would have thought that it's the economical part that they might have trouble getting a mutual agreement on. I'm surprised that PD has a different view on the abortion legislation, I thought they were rather liberal about that.

No comments: