Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Creative Writing

Have you ever tried to write creatively? A lot of us have I think. I'm currently working on something, but it can be rather frustrating work. Generally, I hardly ever finish the stuff I write (or show it to anyone) because after I've written it, it seems like most of it is rubbish (although depending on what mood I am in when I reread the stuff I wrote I tend to get to different conclusions).

Therefore it comes as great joy to me to find that much better writers than me have these sorts of problems ;-P
Here's J.K.Rowling's diary entry from the 31st of October and this is the relevant fragment:
I've just had a great writing week. There are few feelings more joyous than reading back over the week's work and thinking 'that's not bad at all', as opposed to the all-too-frequent, 'it's rubbish, I've wasted a week and I'll have to re-write the lot.' And if you think that's an exaggeration or false modesty, you are very, very wrong. It's perfectly possible to put in eight hour days and have nothing to show for them but a single idea that, if reworked completely, might be passable.

If the link takes you to a more recent diary entry then that particular one will be archived here.

No comments: