Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Gronkiewicz wins the local elections in Warsaw

Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz is now president of Warsaw with many saying this is because of the public support she received from Marek Borowski and Aleksander Kwaƛniewski (before their support, it was Marcinkiewicz who was leading the polls).
I would have probably not bothered with putting this news up onto my blog (I can't say I'm particularly excited about it even if I'm happier that she's president rather than Marcinkiewicz), but I figured that since I had been following the elections and the left-centre developments in particular on my blog, it was worth noting the outcome. However, there is also another reason - I'm getting more and more of a kick out of news such as this being reported internationally. Yep, honestly! The BBC actually thinks news such as this is worth reporting, see here if you don't believe me ;-P And it's not just them either. See here for what a search on Google News comes up with, apart from Polish news outlets there are media reports about this from outlets based in places like Pakistan, Turkey, France, Bulgaria, Romania... I like this, I like the feeling that the world and particularly Europe cares about what's happening in Polish politics. Not because it makes me feel Poland is important, but because it makes me feel that there's certain things (like for example re-introducing the death penalty which PiS would very much like to do) that Polish politicians cannot get away with.

No comments: