Thursday, February 22, 2007

Follow-up on Shantaram and Water

Just a short follow-up to my previous post.

You can read a nice article about Water's chances for an Academy Award and about Hollywood starting to take notice of Indian cinema here.

And I've found something on youtube that makes me even more excited about Shantaram. Below I've embedded an interview with the author of the book. It's in five parts (but I've embedded it as a playlist so it should appear as one with the possibility to switch between the five parts). If they manage to keep that sort of spirit in the film then OMG! I really hope they do!

Also, here's confirmation that Mira Nair is indeed in talks with Shahrukh Khan over a small role in the film.

2 comments:

Andreja said...

This is one of the best, most inspirational interviews I have ever seen! Everybody watch it, it will change your life!

Monika said...

I hear the book is very long (900 pages or something), but amazing. The one comment against it that I've heard is that there's more description than action, but then if the description is anything like what he does in the interview it must be fab anyway ;) I definitely want to read it :)
The moment it was published he had four major Hollywood actor-producers wanting to buy the film rights for it. Apart from Johnny Depp there was Brad Pitt (who is co-producing), Russell Crowe (who is also co-producing) and Edward Norton. He finally went with Johnny Depp because he was the only one who talked to him about India which is such an integral part to the story. More about that here (bottom of the page)