Friday, March 16, 2007

Ricky Gervais' "Extras"

My cousin Matt tried to introduce me to The Office when he was here last year, but unfortunately (as with a lot of our film tastes) it did not go down well with me at all ;) I think it still hasn't been shown on Polish TV (though I could easilly be wrong seeing as I don't watch any TV really). The series was a huge success in the UK and was later remade for the US market. I clearly did not understand the humour of it, as demonstrated by the following clip (which is apparently a cult scene from the series) during which I did not laugh even once (something my cousin thought wasn't physically possible):

Please let me know if I'm not the only one who doesn't feel this humour - you'll make me feel better ;)
To be fair, I do believe it's a great idea for a series. I think my problem is that there's something about Ricky Gervais (the creator/writer and star of the series - seen on that clip dancing) that I just don't like.

Anyway that was off-topic ;-P My point is that in spite of not liking Ricky Gervais, his next series - Extras is going down very well with me (or at least many of the clips I've seen of it on youtube are). A major part of the series is celebrities doing guest appearances and totally destroying their images, which I guess is something that has always amused me. I love when actors do stuff against their images *grin*
Since the point of telling you all this information about my (lack of) sense of humour was to show you my favourite clips from Extras, you'll find them below (everything not related to the star in question is edited out in them, but they're perfectly easy to follow).

Anyway, here's Orlando Bloom doing an appearance. I've always thought he must be a rather boring guy with no sense of humour (that's how he comes across to me in the interviews I've seen), but clearly he can't be that bad ;)


And here's Daniel Radcliffe making an appearance. At the time he did this there were people who were surprised "that Harry Potter would do such a thing", but I guess after Equus it's rather tame ;)


Here's a totally hilarious one (I was laughing so hard I could barely breath), Sir Ian McKellan making an appearance:


And last but definitely not least - Patrick Stewart (this is from the first series, the other three are from the second series of Extras I think):

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PML, Bloom is actually genuinely funny. I'm impressed :)

Andreja said...

I also didn't get that video from The Office. But the videos from Extras are totally funny, especially Daniel and the last one. I'm also impressed :-)

Monika said...

Thanks for the comments girls :) Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't get the Office (my cousin will be shocked when he finds out ;) )
There are some more clips of Extras on youtube if you're interested - definitely one of Kate Winslet and one of Ben Stiller, but I didn't think they were as good as the ones I embedded :)